SERVICE DATE: May 05, 2018 at 2:00pm
Frances Elaine (Shamess) Scarr passed away at Mackenzie Health Centre, Richmond Hill, on Wednesday, February 28th, 2018. Age 88 years.
Beloved wife of the late Stanley Scarr for 53 years. Lovingly missed by her sons Brook and his wife Loretta; Anthony and his wife Lori; Taylor; and Tyler and his wife Anca. Proud Grandma of Ryan, Daniel, Angela, Trista, Joey, Cera, Niall, Logan, Anna Maria, and Roman. Great Grandma of Trinity, Kholden, Alex, Trevor, and Mathieu. Loving daughter of the late Solomon and Annie Shamess. Dear sister of Lynda Lindsay, the late Albert and Edwin Shamess. Fondly remembered by her nieces, nephews, other relatives, and friends.
Elaine was born in Parry Sound and raised in her beloved Parry Harbour. Elaine earned her Special Education Certificate and in her earlier years was an elementary school teacher. Elaine was always extremely active in her community and was involved with the following Boards and Organizations:
• West Parry Sound District Museum Board Member
• Parry Sound Public Library Board Member
• Parry Island Cottagers Association Board Member
• Speaker/Convenor of Probus Club
• Speaker/Convenor of the Parry Sound Nature Club
• Publicist and newspaper columnist for the Parry Sound Nature Club
• Longtime member of the Anglican Church Choir
• Parry Sound Choral Society
• Mrs. Peto’s Nonet Group
• Bill McArton’s Collective Choir
• Brenda Muller’s Whispering River Orchestra and Riversongs Festival Choir
• Parry Sound Bridge Club
• Parry Sound Anglican Church Bridge Club
• Tai Chi Club
• Founding Committee member of the Parry Sound Santa Claus Parade
• Parry Sound Antique Show Chairperson
• President and Director of Heritage Parry Sound
• Executive for Parry Sound political party organizations
• Ways and Means Convenor for the Parry Sound Minor Hockey Association
Elaine also enjoyed various activities including studying painting under Bert Weir, downhill skiing, boating, swimming, skating, and swimming in her beloved Georgian Bay, and loved watching her children and grandchildren play sports.
A Service in Celebration of Elaine’s Life will take place at Trinity Anglican Church on Saturday, May 5th at 2:00 P.M. Friends will be received prior to the Service from 1:00 – 2:00 P.M. Reception to follow.
.As expressions of sympathy, donations to the West Parry Sound District Museum, the Parry Sound Public Library, the West Parry Sound Health Centre, Trinity Anglican Church, the Foundation for Fighting Blindness, the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation (Sarcoma Research), the Shriners Hospitals for Children, or the charity of your choice would be appreciated.